Director of Production
We are looking for a leader and creative thinker to join our team full-time as the Director of Production. This role is a great fit for someone who can calmly manage and motivate a growing team and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, creative environment. This person will report directly and work alongside the studio’s partners.
• Manage the Production Team. Assign daily and weekly work to ensure every production team member has a clear and prioritized workload to meet studio and client-driven deadlines—Reprioritize work when needed to support the team, studio, and our customers. Escalate bandwidth challenges in advance of missing deadlines for on-time and quality completion of orders and inventory.
• Maintain minimum / maximum stock levels while considering planned growth and production studio square footage. Ensure the studio is sufficiently stocked to complete orders on time. Conduct physical counts as needed and bi-weekly inventory transfers from off-site storage.
• Communicate and work with outside vendors. Plan, generate, confirm and track purchase orders ensuring on-time production and fulfillment. Resolve any material availability issues, and provide quality assurance feedback to vendors.
• Keep accurate open-order and inventory reports, updating new orders and production status daily.
• Oversee the QC process, ensuring all parts are suitable for shipment and assembly. Schedule the repair, part-out, or discard of defective products and components.
• Analyze any order discrepancies and shipping damage. Address the root cause of the issue and creatively problem-solve these issues. Communicate your proposed solution to the studio partners, and help roll out change initiatives and continuous improvement efforts.
• Responsible for addressing clutter and making room for incoming goods, maintaining product labeling of stock, and ensuring the team and space are prepared to do their best work daily.
• Maintain an expert-level understanding of all active collections, components, suppliers, and quality parameters. Train and manage the team to the same level. Ensure training goals are met for newly hired production associates and successful training for new collections.
• Provide in-person leadership to the production team. Monitor individual and team performance. Provide weekly performance reporting.
• Be a conduit of conversation, feedback, and advocacy between team members and the studio's partners, escalating any issues that require additional support. Write and deliver thoughtful and accurate annual performance reviews and advocate for team member advancement and compensation.
• Create a work environment that promotes kindness and communication. Promote and support company policies and team safety.
• Support company initiatives and projects on an as-needed basis.
• 3-5 years of experience managing lighting or furniture production
• This is an opportunity for someone who wants to make an impact. You’ll be part of a company within its first five years and influence how it grows.
• A genuinely empathetic group. We have a non-negotiable no jerks policy. Being nice is free.
• Excellent communication skills
• Willingness to roll up your sleeves to get things done
• Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills
• Self-motivated, with excellent time management and the ability to manage and motivate a growing production team
• Experience with wiring, electrical work, or furniture building
• Ability to work under pressure amid competing demands
• Able to learn new skills quickly in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to regularly lift and move up to 25 to 50 pounds multiple times a day
• Ability to stand 90% of each workday while performing job duties and responsibilities
• Must like dogs :)
Studio + Compensation
• This is a full-time position based in Gowanus, Brooklyn.
• Studio hours are Monday - Friday from 9 am to 6 pm
• 80-100k/annual salary based on experience
• Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, including 100% monthly premium coverage options for Employees of the studio.
• PTO and 401k plan
How to Apply
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please describe your interest in the position, why you are a good fit for the studio, and what unique perspective you bring.
Due to the level of responses we receive, we will not follow up with all applicants directly, but if we feel you are a good fit, we will follow up with qualified candidates within five days. Thank you for your application!