In Common With is a Brooklyn-based design studio. For the most part, we make lights. We’re looking for a compassionate and determined thinker to join our team full-time as a customer and sales assistant. This role is officially called Customer Experience and Sales Assistant, but in practice, you will be an educator and a partner to help guide those outside of our studio throughout their time with us. You’ll advise on things like which features our ready-to-ship fixtures have or share materials with clients throughout custom projects. The role is a great fit for someone who’s calm when things get chaotic, and great at reading rooms. Perhaps literally.
Some questions this person will ask themselves: What frustrations have I had as a customer, and what would I want myself? How can I translate the simplicity and elegance of a light fixture into a human experience? What is the clearest and most efficient way to share these complicated specs with someone? Are there processes that would free up time for everyone?
• Respond quickly to inbound inquiries and requests, engaging with people over email, phone, social media, and eventually in person
• Provide personalized and professional support in written and spoken word
• Quickly identify and resolve order-related issues by working with clients and internal/external partner
• Swiftly become fluent in our design and process language. (We train our team one-at-a-time, prior experience is a plus, but not required. We ask that you provide your own nearly-obsessive love of detail, communication skills, curiosity, efficiency, and kindness).
• Support monthly and annual sales targets by supporting customers through the sales process
• Provide clients product data sheets, pricing information, lead time, and tiered discount structure
• Respond to RFQs (requests for quotation) and provide project quotes to interior designers and purchasing agents
• Assist with new account registrations and maintain customer and client database
• Follow up on orders, quotes, and outstanding projects
• Pack and ship finish sample orders
• Maintain records of recurring internal sales meetings
• Manage and update product data as needed across ecommerce and printed materials
• Coordinate showroom and office appointments
• Friendly and personable :—)
• Terrific judgment. You treat the root cause of something, not the symptom.
• A genuine love of organizing, and system
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• The ability to calmly manage and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, creative environment
• Proactive and motivated to identify functional or service-based improvements to pleasantly surprise our customers and enrich their experience overall
• Experience in interior design, architecture firms, or high-end retail or showrooms will give you a big advantage
Some less-quantitative points:
• This is a job for someone who wants to make an impact. You’ll join a company within its first five years and directly influence how it grows.
• Dynamic exposure - to both clients, designers, and creative partners at the absolute top of their game.
• A genuinely empathetic group. We have a non-negotiable no jerks policy. Being nice is free.
• This is a full-time position based in our Gowanus, Brooklyn studio.
• Start date: September-ish
How to apply:
If you’re a people-person who’s skeptical of typical “customer service” email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what television character describes your customer service philosophy.